In Beginner Clogging, we teach the 8 fundamental clogging steps from which all the other steps are formed. By the end of class, students will have learned at least 1-2 routines performed by the club. There is no homework, though we encourage you to practice outside of class.
In Intermediate clogging, we will learn more challenging clogging steps as well as improve speed and precision. Students will learn 3-4 dances and build their clogging step “vocabulary.” Prerequisite: This class assumes the dancer already knows the fundamentals of clogging. There is no homework, though we encourage you to practice outside of class.
For both classes:
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing in which you can move easily and bring a water bottle.
- Students are NOT required to buy clogging shoes for either class.
- Wear flat-soled, tennis shoes or sneakers. It is very important that the shoe be able to slide. Tennis shoes with a thick tread pattern will make learning more difficult. Zumba shoes, ballroom dance shoes or any shoe with a smooth-sole works well. Dance socks fitted over sneakers are recommended, especially for intermediate clogging.
- Children under 12 years old must be accompanied by an adult taking the class.
Beginning & Intermediate Clogging @ the Front Porch
- Next Front Porch Classes – September 2019
Classes are held on Tuesday nights at the Front Porch, 221 Water Street East, Charlottesville. Beginner class is usually 6-7pm, followed by Intermediate class from 7-8pm. ** Clogging shoes are NOT allowed on the floor at the Front Porch. Please wear Dance Socks ro smooth-soled shoes to facilitate learning.
From 64 East: take VA-20 exit, EXIT 121 towards Charlottesville/Scottsville. Turn right on Monticello Ave/VA-20, continue to follow Monticello Ave for approximately 1.24 miles. Take a right onto 2nd St. SE then a right onto Water St. E, our blue building will be on the left.
From 64 West: Take the VA-631/5th St. exit, Exit 120 towards Charlottesville. Turn left onto 5th St. and continue to follow for approximately 2.13 miles. Turn right onto Water St. E, our building will be on the left.
Hourly parking available in the Water St. Parking Garage.
Beginner Clogging @ Albemarle County Parks & Recreation
- Next Albemarle County Class – January 2020
Classes are held on from 6:45-7:30 pm on Wednesday nights at Greenwood Community Center, 865 Greenwood Road, Crozet, VA 22932. **Clogging shoes are allowed at Greenwood Community Center.
From Charlottesville: Take 64 West to Crozet, Exit 107 250 West, take a right onto Rt. 690, take a right Rt. 691 – Jarmans Gap Road. The center is on the right.
Other ways to learn to clog:
KerriClogs – Clogging Steps – Beginning
KerriCloggs – Clogging Steps – Easy Intermediate
KerriClogs – Clogging Steps – Intermediate
Russ and Lelia Hunsaker Videos
Clogging 101 (free online lessons)
Martha Hemingway of Happy Feet Cloggers – Learn to Clog Videos